Monday, September 12, 2005

Wow, a week between posts, I hope this doesn't permeate into something permanent. I just never, and I'll blame myself, thought that this program I'm in would eat away at so much of my time. It's definitely the most challenging experience I've ever been in. It's like I'm going to two entirely separate schools even though it's one program. Half of the time, I'm learning practicum and how to actually properly teach. Granted, that's what I expected. The other half is spent on far off theory meant to propel us future teachers as becoming radicals who will make changes from within the system to move classroom curriculum into a post modernistic society. Unfortunately, this means that we're always in a constant liminal state pretty much all the time. Confused, befuddled, stuff I thought I was done with in undergrad work. Oh well. The only consolation is that since I went through so much social theory as an undergrad, I seem to have a better grip of the text than the others. They (my cohort), though, have so much more applied experience either as afterschool teachers, substitute teachers, or overseas teachers, that it's intimidating. I guess there's got to be a trade-off somewhere.

Oops, I think I gone and complained. Here's what's really of news if that matters-

*I'm student teaching this semester a class of first graders starting on Thursday. First graders scare the begeezes out of me, but I've been placed at a school I wanted where there are no bells and teachers are called by their first names. Did you hear that? Good morning, Johnny!

*I sneaked in an hour of Oasis's concert tonight. Wow. Remember them? Wonderwall? Don't Look Back in Anger? Champagne Supernova (where were you while we were getting high)? Live Forever? I even brought a guitar and sung part of Live Forever in a Freshman college class once to impress a girl. It didn't work.

*Oh, and the band was pretty static. Fun seeing Liam snarl at the mike in real life for once, though.

*I can't believe that I didn't post about Six Feet Under's series finale. It was brutal. What a great fifth season. Television doesn't get much more honest and well written. Name me another show that tackles head-on issues without wincing as this show. The final song to end the show was beautiful too. It's a song called Breath Me by Sia. You can't find the album in the States, but you can hear the song here after I spent too long looking for it. Or you can buy the soundtrack, full of great songs by the Arcade Fire, Coldplay, Radiohead, Nina Simone, Interpol, and more I can't think of.

*Sigur Ros and David Gray albums out Tuesday.

*Nickel Creek's on the cover of current month's issue of No Depression, and it's in-depth to say the least! For the uninitiated, it gives the best description on who they are, how they came to be, and anything else you would ever want to know. For the rest of us, themes that have shaped their lives and how it has translated to their music are bountiful in this article. Religion, relationships, literature are just a few. Pick it up at your neighborhood Borders.

1 comment:

Lan said...

"Good Morning, Johnny!"

Hehehe. I'm glad to hear you're teaching finally. I'm sure you'll do fine with the first-graders. I'm having the opposite experience in my grad program. Everything is extremely concrete and very practical. I'm almost suspicious that we don't have more theory.

Did I ever tell you the story about Oasis? This girl I worked with at Artopia and I were listening to Wonderwall together and I made the comment that the song made me feel old. She asked what I meant and I replied that I remembered listening to this song when I was 12 or 13 and overcome by the angsty ennui of adolscence. Her reaction? "This song is old? I thought it was new!"

Yeah . . . sure. New. ^_^