Sunday, April 24, 2005



Blue Merle

So I decided to google and figure out what a blue merle is, after seeing the fine band at Slim's last night. This is what popped up... Not what I was expecting. Something fishy came to mind, but hey you learn something new everyday.



This is them. Not the doggies. How were they? Pretty swell! Swell, I haven't used that word in ages. But anyway, the hype on the band wasn't far fetched. Blue Merle = Coldplay + Nickel Creek. I can see it. Coldplay? Obvious. Nickel Creek? Well, they got an upright bass, a fiddle, a mandolin, electric and acoustic guitars, and drums. Pretty impressive amount of instruments on stage. Most importantly, though, is they actually jam and stretch out their recorded songs! Definitely look for them in the future, you heard it here :) Nice fellows too, the lead singer's got that all-american-i'm grateful for the experience sense of humbleness, but it contradicts his youthfulness. Kinda like Chris Thile in a way. And speaking of Chris, I spoke with the fiddler in the band who was taking in Glen's set where I was hanging out and they were able to sit in with Chris while they toured with Glen in Tennessee earlier this month! They'd only seen Nickel Creek once, but he had a nice grin wrapped around his face :) Always awesome to talk to people who can understand where you're coming from.

Glennnnnn.... So this is Glen for the third time in months after almost three years of no Glen coming to SF. Bald, with full band, was Glen this time, however. Lots of Toad songs played (probably because of Lost Highway pressure) but he and his band played a few favorites I hadn't heard live in ages, Fly From Heaven, High on a Riverbed, and Whatever I Fear. Awesome. His new album songs sounded a bit flat live with the band, but his acoustic portion really resonated. FYI, Slim's has really good acoustics, and I hadn't heard Glen's voice boom as vibrantly in the past, but unfortunately, there were a lot of non-Glen folks in the house carrying on drunk conversations. Not fun, I wanted to yell at a few people, and I'm sure Glen did as well with his constant staring in the back. Anyway, I'm beginning to ramble, but for fans of Glen interested, his wife and brother were both there and at one point, Glen asked his brother what song he'd want to hear. An imposter yelled a song out and Glen went..." hey... that's not my brother's voice, you son of a bitch!" playfully of course, as he's never serious. But in the end his brother yelled out "whatever I fear".

So in one sentence, Blue Merle's a band to look out for and if I hadn't said it five gazillion times already, Glen rocks.

I saw Shallow Grave earlier. Disturbingly fun, I love Boyle's other huge flick, Trainspotting. :)

Glen Setlist:
1. Thankful
2. Something's Always Wrong
3. True
4. Fly from Heaven
5. Gather
6. Train Wreck
7. High on a Riverbed
8. Comes a Time*
9. Windmills*
10. Easier*
11. Finally Fading
12. Courage
13. Crowing
14. Released
15. Walk on the Ocean
16. Duck and Cover
17. Cleareyed
ENCORE
18. All I Want
19. It Takes Time
20. Grace^
21. Whatever I Fear*
22. Political Science*
23. Don't Need Anything*
* = Glen solo
^ = Jonathan lead vox/acoustic guitar, with Glen backing vox/acoustic guitar

No comments: